The beautiful blue color comes from butterfly pea flower, a type of anthocyanin found in butterfly pea flower(also called: clitoria ternatea). This herb is used in Ayurveda (preventive medicine) in India and has been popular in Laos for a long time. It is also very popular among women who are conscious of their beauty and health because of its high antioxidant function. Our herb is currently being farmed in Thailand without the use of agricultural chemicals or fertilizers during the cultivation period.
- Butterfly pea flower extract addresses the need for bright denim shades that are heat and light stable.
- Butterfly pea flower extract is approved for use in several key application categories in the US, including most foods and beverages.
- Butterfly pea flower extract’s blue hues also enable our color experts to reach otherwise difficult-to-achieve colors like greens, purples, and browns when blended with other natural colors.
- Butterfly Pea Flower enables stunning purple shades. At higher pH levels in certain applications, Butterfly Pea Flower alone produces a vivid violet hue.
- Our butterfly flowers come from a safe and reliable supply chain to ensure the safety and effectiveness of extracts.
Butterfly pea flower extract is rich in ternatin A1. Ternatin is about 161 times more stable than common anthocyanins. Its antioxidant effect is reported to be stronger than that of epigallocatechin. The half-life of the pigment in the extract is about 2 months in pH 7 aqueous solution.
Spirulina extract, which is both approved and delivers excellent performance in some applications, is not very heat stable. Spirulina extract also has limited pH stability, making it challenging in some beverage products. Butterfly pea flower extract addresses the need for bright denim shades that are heat and light stable.
General Bacteria: 3,000cfu/g or less Coliform: Negative Moisture Content: 8.0% or less
[Caution] Butterfly Pea is believed to have uterine contraction and anti-thrombogenic effects. Therefore, pregnant (lactating) and menstruating women and those with blood disorders should refrain from taking Butterfly Pea.
Butterfly Pea Flower Extract has received FDA approval as a color additive. With this new announcement, butterfly pea flower extract is approved for use in several key application categories in the US, including alcoholic and non-alcoholic RTD beverages, ice cream and frozen dairy desserts, candies, and liquid coffee creamers, both dairy and plant-based.